What is Westminster Working Cultures London (WWCL)?
Westminster Working Cultures London (WWCL) is aimed at 1st and 2nd year students from a widening participation background and involves giving students an invaluable insight into the huge pool of opportunities available in London.
WWCL involves working with organisations that are passionate about diversity within their workforce and are keen to offer students an insight into their organisation. The programme is complimented by careers support and personal development activities provided by our own Careers and Employability Service.
The aim is to increase career aspirations and widen students’ employability prospects and self-confidence through a range of activities targeted at students that are traditionally disadvantaged in the job market. All students who successfully complete the programme are also given a £500 bursary funded by Santander.
For full details on WWCL, please click here.
WWCL in Practice
Possible topics and themes for an Insight Day may include:
- The different routes into the organisation
- How organisations work globally and collaborate
- The less well-known areas and job roles in the organisation
- Hearing from people who have taken less conventional routes into the organisation or any alumnus from Westminster (if applicable)
- More generally, what it is like to work in your organisation
For this academic semester, Facebook – the social networking site with more than 2.2 billion monthly active users as of January 2018 – hosted an exclusive Insight Day for Westminster Working Cultures London students on the 14th of November.
The day started off with a warm welcome from the Facebook team, a quick ice breaker, followed by a workshop themed around ‘Branding yourself.’
Some other highlights from the event included our students being given tours of Facebook’s London headquarters – including lunch and networking (Extra highlight: free sweets!) – and being informed of the types of roles Facebook offers on each business area, as well as available summer intern opportunities and roles.
A massive thank you to the Facebook London team, who helped make this day unforgettable!
To give you an example of what other companies WWCL partners with, here are 2 of the next Insight Days in Semester 2.
- 6 Feb 2019 – Insight Day at Santander, where WWCL students would get practical understanding of the different companies Santander works with.
- 27 Ma 2019 – Insight at the headquarters of the Foreign Commonwealth Office.
💡 Watch this space for upcoming blog posts, covering each Insight Day, written by one of the WWCL participants!
Why get involved?
If you are a 1st or 2nd year student and have not had much previous work experience and / or don’t have many contacts in your career field of interest, then Westminster Working Cultures London offers you the chance to change that!
Here is what Shakira, 1st year BA (Hons) Architecture student, one of the WWCL participants, who also attended the Insight Day at Facebook, shares with us through her reflective piece on the event:
❝ Seeing and hearing about the jobs that people do there [Facebook] and the actual physical impact that their jobs have on the users connection was astonishing.❞
❝ I like the fact that Facebook have a wide and extensive selection of people from a variety of backgrounds. Seeing a woman of colour , in a high position with hair very similar to my own was very encouraging and inspiring.❞
Feeling inspired? Considering this may be relevant to you? WWCL runs once per year and the next round of applications would re-open end of summer 2019!
For more information on eligibility and the application process, please click here.
Latest posts by Anna Dolidze (see all)
- Employability Diary – Health and Well-being with Cherry Goh - 15 March 2019
- Employability Diary with Clare Adams (Part 2) - 8 March 2019
- Skills Academy: Is disclosing my disability to an employer a good idea? - 5 February 2019