The London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) is coming to SOAS and the University of Westminster to speak to university students about volunteering at the London 2012 Olympic Games.

It will, in particular, focus on the volunteer Language Services and Protocol roles that will be required starting from June to September 2012:

Language Services Team Member

Responsibilities and tasks include, among others:

• providing consecutive interpretation services to the press, sport, medical services, doping control and other parties;
  • providing language support to Olympic & Paralympic Family;
  • helping clients and teams to access the ‘language line’ interpretation service where required;
  • performing venue protocol duties.

Protocol Team Member

• providing assistance and support to Olympic & Paralympic Family clients in a friendly, efficient and professional manner;
  • Olympic and Paralympic Family Drop-off, Lounge and Stands management;
    • directing and accompanying Olympic & Paralympic Family members to their required destination;
    • ensuring the Olympic/Paralympic Family lounge, stand and information desk is maintained and kept clean and tidy.

Applications for the Games Maker volunteer programme are now open, and the closing date for applications is October 27th 2010.

To find out more come to:

Brunei Gallery Lecture Theatre, SOAS, Thornhaugh St, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG, 12 October 2010, at 5.30 pm

OR

The Old Cinema, University Of Westminster, 309 Regent Street, London W1B 2UW, 13 October 2010, at 2.00 pm . If you are coming to  the event at Westminster, please email Berekhet at berakhb@wmin.ac.uk to let him know.

Berekhet Berakhy

Berekhet Berakhy

Berekhet engages students and third sector organisations to explore volunteering, voluntary work and social enterprise for the mutual benefit of personal, professional and community development. Through this role, Berekhet contributes to achievement of the University’s CSR’s key objectives linked to Community Engagement, Students’ Employability and Experience.
Berekhet Berakhy

Comments

• Hello,

I will be attending the conference at Westminster University on Wednesday. Please let me know if there is anything I can do in the meantime in order to put forth my application for the Language Volunteer.

Thank you.

Ana Berker Borrajo.

• Hi Ana,

Glad to hear you will be attending on Wednesday. You don’t need to do anything in advance of the event, but if you have any specific queries, feel free to email Berekhet on berakhb@wmin.ac.uk

Kind regards

Career Development Centre

• I am interested in the language volunteer.I will attend the conference 30Th October to speak to you in person, at university of Westminster ( regent street)13th October 2010 at 2:oo.

My regards

A. Bilali

• Hey I would not be able to attend the workshop, How can I apply for the language volunteer vacancy ? Thank you

• I will be there at Regents. Sounds great!

Also are there any other portfolios we can apply for?

Regards,

Yashraj!

• Dear Madam/Sir

I am interested in Language Services volunteering but I was not able to attend the event on October the 13th. Can I still apply to join the team?

Kind Regards

Vitali Shuranau
    LLB Student

• Will there be opportunities like these again soon???

I would be very interested and very appreciated if anyone informed me.

Thanks

• Dear Rui,

Many thanks for your post. I am afraid the deadline for all the Game Makers positions has passed and therefore we do not foresee another opportunity where the LOCOG team would come to campus for a talk. For more recent information on volunteering opportunities during the Olympics, please go to volunteering page on the Olympics website at http://www.london2012.com/volunteer.

Best wishes,
    Berekhet