The Career Development Centre hosted an evening of celebration at Fyvie Hall on 5th June. Over 100 people gathered to pay tribute to the success of our students, our external partner organisations and our alumni who have participated in mentoring schemes, University of Westminster Associates in Schools and our Volunteering Schemes. The atmosphere was positively oozing with heartfelt thanks and inspiring journeys.

The event was opened with a keynote speech from Jean Harrison, HR Director, who said, “I would like to commend our all our students on their proactivity, taking responsibility for their own extra -curricular learning and personal development, benefiting others along the way. They are a credit to the university.”

We went on to hear from some of the participants of the schemes about their experiences. Jennifer Browne, an Alumna of Westminster and now a successful solicitor, gave an inspiring snapshot of her experience of being a mentor, proving that anything is possible given the right mind set. Yvonne Dang, a final year law student, gave us a heartfelt account of how her confidence has grown as a result of having a mentor from Barclaycard. Sam Jones received several rounds of applause when he stunned the audience with his account of raising £82,000 for charity by climbing to Everest Basecamp in order to build a school in Nepal. Andrew Harland from Norwood, one of our host charities talked about the impact of Westminster Volunteers in his organisation, then we finished with a fascinating insight into teaching life in a school from Quinland Anderson, who has just graduated in Business Management and Commercial Law.

Jane Lewis, Dean of Faculty of Science & Technology, said “It was inspirational to see the successful students, hear their stories and talk to such motivated mentors and supporters.”

Here are some student testimonials:

“So far I have done a lot of work with my mentor on CV writing, cover letters and professional development. I really value that and can see only positives out of this.” (Ivan Yovchev, MSc Property Finance)

“It has been wonderful to integrate with previous graduates who are just as motivated as ourselves. It helps give you that extra drive to succeed.” (Kalon-Paul White, BA Hons Criminal Justice)

“This experience has been worthwhile and enjoyable, it has opened my eyes to different opportunities available to me after I graduate.”  (Egzon Sojeva, BA Hons Business Management)

“My mentor gave me the confidence to use my own abilities with proper focus and introduced various useful venues and skills which guided and nourished my planning for career development. A truly enriching experience.” (Syeda Rizvi, PhD Candidate)

Over the last year, we have had over 100 mentoring pairs, 355 students participating in volunteering, 100 students on placements in schools and we can now boast 96 students in our Talent Bank, which places pre-screened, reference checked, and suitable candidates into paid ad-hoc, temporary and seasonal jobs across all University departments. As a result of all these initiatives, students become more employable, the wider community benefits from motivated and committed students and the university builds relationships and reputation.

Now that is something to celebrate!

To find out more about how you can get involved go to: www.westminster.ac.uk/careers

Comments

• It was an honour to speak at this event, thanks very much for having me! This year’s cohort are doing quite well I hear, so recognition must go to Elise Sherman and her team for the work they’re doing, giving us great opportunities. Without it, I might not have been able to get onto the PGCE programme I’m completing at the moment. Looking forward to this year’s event! Quinland