The University of Westminster has achieved the Gold Phase Award of the EcoCampus Scheme after successfully implementing the Operating stage of an Environmental Management System (EMS).
EcoCampus is a national Environmental Management System (EMS) and award scheme for the higher education sector. The scheme allows universities to be recognised at each phase of the process through a series of awards from bronze through silver, gold and platinum. Each phase contains a number of minimum requirements, which progressively lead towards the implementation of a fully operational EMS. The platinum award conforms with the requirements of the international environmental management standard ISO14001.
After the audit in April 2016, Diane Stevens and Margaret Rooney (Regional Assessors from the NQA) confirmed that our EMS has been fully implemented up to the requirements of the Gold phase. As part of the final report, a number of opportunities for improvements (4) and minor non-conformities (2) were also identified.
This Gold award is the third accreditation received by the University of Westminster, reflecting our commitment to continual improvement in our environmental performance and compliance with legal requirements. The process involves:
– identifying resources, roles and responsibilities within the EMS
– evaluating competence and providing training/awareness
– maintaining effective control of document and communications
– putting in place operational procedures and emergency preparedness and response
Currently the University is working on addressing all the issues raised during the audit, and also developing a new strategy towards the Platinum phase. The University is expecting to be audited again by April 2017 for the Platinum accreditation.
If you would like to know more about EcoCampus at the University of Westminster, please contact Tan Sapsaman at T.Sapsaman1@westminster.ac.uk
Latest posts by Tharntharn Sapsaman (see all)
- Tree planting – Sports Day 2016 - 09/06/2016
- University of Westminster receives the EcoCampus (Gold) accreditation - 31/05/2016
- Marylebone Growing Space - 04/04/2016