Hello herbivores! This week Love Food Hate Waste launched their #SaveOurSpuds campaign to tackle the widespread wastage of one of the nation’s favourite veggies: the humble potato.
Did you know we bin about 5.8 million spuds in the UK each year at a cost of about £230 million? This works out at a shocking 46% of the potatoes we buy being chucked in the bin unloved.
Check out the Love Food Hate Waste website for info about how to save your spuds, make the most of your leftovers and save a few bob while you’re at it.
Here’s a recipe from Carlos, one of our chefs at the university. Because you grate the potatoes, it’s a wonderful way to use up potatoes that look a bit funny or are a little bit past their best. It’s also perfect as the weather starts to turn and you need something carby and filling!
Carlos’s Crispy Potato, Onion and Mushroom Rosti
Making use of the abundance of mushrooms available in autumn, this recipe from our head chef, Carlos, is ideal for a warming dinner as the days get shorter and the air gets crisper.
450g potatoes, grated
1 onion, finely sliced
150g mushrooms, any kind, sliced
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- In a frying pan, cook the potatoes in a little oil until softened but still maintaining a little crunch.
- Remove to a small bowl and cook the onions and mushrooms in the same pan for 5-10 minutes until soft and starting to brown. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for a further 30 seconds before removing to a bowl.
- Add two tbsp of oil to the pan and spread half the potatoes in a layer covering the bottom of the pan – press them down, the onions and mushrooms, and top with the rest of the potatoes. Press this down to an even disk.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally to make sure it doesn’t stick.
- Carefully slide it onto a plate, place another plate on top, grip the sides and flip it over. Slide it back into the pan to cook the other side of the rosti for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately with a fresh salad.
Latest posts by Cormac Cleary (see all)
- Cycling Facilities at the University of Westminster - 03/09/2018
- The University of Westminster has banned plastic straws and plastic cutlery - 01/08/2018
- Earth Overshoot Day - 24/07/2018