Did you know that Westminster suffers from the worst air pollution in the country? 370,000,000 miles are driven here each year, and road transport contributes to more than half of the deadly emissions found in our air. Enter Westminster City Council and, well, you.
To help tackle this problem the City of Westminster is looking for air quality champions to work on their #DontBeIdle campaign and ask drivers to stop engine idling.
So what the heck is engine idling anyway? It refers to leaving the engine running when the car is not in motion. This could happen at a red light, in horrific London traffic jams, or waiting outside the shop while your mate runs in to get snacks to keep you going through said horrific traffic jam.
According to the campaign, an idling car produces enough exhaust emissions containing nasty, noxious gases such as NOx, cyanide and PM2.5 to fill 150 balloons every minute. If that sounds to you like the decoration for a children’s birthday party in hell, join the club. Get involved in the fight against poor air quality where you work, live or study.
So what do you have to do?
- Motivate drivers to switch off their engines when stationary
- Educating them about air pollution
- Engage with idlers, residents and other passers-by
- Visit idling hotspot areas to spread the word
- Using social media to promote the #DontBeIdle message
If this sounds like something you’d like to try out, there are two idling event days coming up over the next few months:
- Thursday 31st May 2018 – Mayfair
- Monday 25th June 2018 – Marylebone High Street
Simply email the campaign group to register your interest and they’ll be in touch shortly.