Thank you for giving us the feedback and for your questions during the drop in sessions. Those questions that we couldn’t answer then, or gave brief answers to are below, with more information.
Do have a look here. Use the index below to browse through the questions and click on any question to read the answer.
If you’re teaching in one of the new rooms, do get in touch by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to give us feedback, or report any issue that you meet.
As most of you know, as part of the Classroom Refurbishment Programme, the University upgraded the AV/IT equipment, furniture and other features in thirty seven rooms across five sites, over the Summer, after upgrading twenty two last year.
The Educational Technology Team ran six drop in sessions to show these rooms and give you a chance to use the equipment before the academic year started.
Thank you all very much for coming and getting in touch about the sessions and what’s new in the rooms. In all, we met with more than one hundred people across five sites and it was great to hear your questions, feedback and show you the flexible learning spaces.
Example of a new classroom: Regent Street: RS350
In case you couldn’t make it to one of the drop in sessions, here’s what we covered:
- Brief overview of the Classroom Refurbishment Programme
- Using the adjustable lectern and touch screen PC
- Using the new control panel to set what is shown and the audio in the classroom
- Using the visualiser
- Quick overview of Panopto and how to record from different sources
- Connecting laptops or mobile devices via the lectern cables or Reflector
- Tour of some new rooms, with the opportunity to try the equipment
Thank you also for sharing your experience and ideas of teaching in the new flexible learning spaces. If you’re timetabled to teach in one of the rooms, members of the Educational Technology Team will be around to give you support and show you how to use the equipment during the first two weeks of term.
We would also love to hear from you if you attended a drop in session, would like more information about the equipment, or plan to use the new technology or collaborative furniture in your teaching.
You can get in touch with us by email here: email@example.com.
The Educational Technology Team wishes you and your students a good start of term.
All classrooms will have the new standard AV and IT including:
- Adjustable lectern
- Touch screen PC
- Data projector and screen (or screens depending on size of room)
- Microphone and speakers
- Recording capability (slides plus audio)
- Connectivity on the lectern (via HDMI and VGA cable) for laptops
In addition all rooms are planned to have Reflector installed in them which allows tutors and students (with the tutors permission) to wirelessly mirror the display from laptops, tablets and mobile phones to the main projection screen(s) in the room.
- Rooms will be fitted with dimmable lighting that people should be able to make work
- There will be normal clocks (i.e. not digital so with hands) and there will be 2 in each room
- It will be possible where there are multiple screens in a room to turn off the screens independently of one another
- It will be possible to raise the projection screen at the front and turn off the data projector display without shutting the whole system down
- There will be a lecturer’s desk and chair in each classroom (note that the rooms refurbished last year will also be retro equipped with these)
- Telephones will not be on the lectern but on the wall
- Power sockets will be around the walls at a ratio of 1 per 2 students. The power sockets will also have USB charging ports
- We will not have writing walls but there will be as many whiteboards in a room as is feasible
- In rooms with plectrum tables there will be a whiteboard for each table and tables and whiteboards will be colour coded
Unfortunately we are not able to accommodate the suggestion made by a group of staff at the furniture exhibition that there should be refrigerated drinks cabinets under each lectern. Maybe next year:-)
Post the furniture exhibition and collation of the feedback received, and after consultation with designated Faculty representatives, furniture has been ordered for each room. To see details of what furniture options are going in to each room please use the links below.
At long last, after the furniture exhibition and quite a lot of other consultation, a programme has been agreed for classrooms to be ‘done’ over the Summer as phase 2 of the 5 year programme to refurbish and modernise all standard classrooms across the estate.
You can use the links below to find out which rooms are being worked on over this Summer as part of this programme and the scheduled date for completion of each room.
Building on work carried out in the previous 2 years, which has seen 28 classrooms across the estate refurbished to date, there are plans being developed to work on a further 42 rooms this summer. To see which rooms have been identified for enhancement click on the links below.
This is the place to find news about the New Classrooms Programme at Westminster and to comment on and ask questions about what you read.
The New Classrooms Programme is aiming to refurbish all standard classrooms across the estate over the next 5 years.