Westminster Law School blog

Visit the website of Westminster Law School

More information about courses in undergraduate law

More information about courses in postgraduate law

Blazej Blasikiewicz graduated from the International Law LLM

Posted on: 3 October 2017
By:
No Comments »
Filed under: Uncategorized

Originally I applied to Westminster to study for my Masters in International Economics, because I am an economist and I had already completed my Masters in Economics in Poland; I thought that perhaps I would go on to work as an economist in the City, or in a field related to economics. Then I attended the introductory week before starting the course, and I realised that I had already covered a lot of the subject while studying in Poland, and I didn’t want to do the same thing again. I’m interested in politics so I did consider taking the Diplomatic Studies course, but then I also found the International Law LLM, and when I contacted the course leader he said he would be happy for me to join the course.

That’s one piece of advice I would give to anyone thinking of studying for the LLM at Westminster; go along to the introductory week, and take advantage of the opportunity to find out more about the subjects, talk to the professors and the course leaders. Doing that enables you to make the right decisions about your course and the subjects you will study.

I didn’t really know what to expect when I started the course, as I didn’t know much about international law, but I think Dr Marco Roscini [the International Law LLM Course Leader] is one of the best professors I have had, someone I really respect. The contact generally with lecturers and professors was good, so I was very happy with Westminster, and with the knowledge I gained while I was there. For me, having already done my Bachelors degree and Masters in Poland, I didn’t need to spend so much time studying methodology, and I don’t think that should be a compulsory part of the course for everyone. But other than that, I think the course was excellent.

The location of the University is fantastic, but if I had to pick one highlight from my time at Westminster, I think it would be the way Marco conducted the classes; he was always perfectly prepared, and that really impressed me.

In general the course has prepared me well for my career; with my two degrees, I started an internship in the Hague to set up a dispute resolution facility for international financial markets, called PRIME Finance, and my background in finance and in international law helped me a lot. Now I work part-time at PRIME Finance, and part-time in the international arbitration team at NautaDutilh, one of the biggest Benelux law firms. So my Masters at Westminster helped me immensely, it prepared me and gave me a good background in the subject. I hope in the future to also work more in politics and lobbying, and be able to influence the decision makers, and again I think my degrees will give me a good advantage.