ruhnu-documentary-main-photo-2

Estonian newspaper Maaleht published an article about a documentary film titled The Island of Ruhnu made by Westminster School of Media, Arts and Design Television Production BA students: Laura Poldma – Producer, Ross Toomey – Director, Laura Cadwell – Camera Operator, Kate Howie – Sound Operator, Greta Butkeviciute – Editor.

Ruhnu, is an Estonian island in the Gulf of Riga in the Baltic Sea with less than 100 inhabitants. Producer Laura said: “I was always thinking of making something related with my homeland, so when we came to our third year I pitched this idea.I chose my group taking into consideration the previous experience with them and we started doing the research. We had two months to produce this 15-minute documentary.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

“In that time we had to do research, and contact people on the island which wasn’t actually as hard as I thought it would be – luckily there was this amazing mayor running the island and he was more than friendly and welcoming, we still exchange emails from time to time.

“We stayed at the island for nine days, but it was quite a journey to get to there. From the capital we had to drive to another island and from there we took a tiny plane which made me feel like there is no way I will get to this island safe.The filming days were challenging in many ways because I wanted to have as much footage as possible but at the same time I didn’t want it to be meaningless.”

The finished documentary showcases interviews with Ruhnu inhabitants, shots from their daily lives and activities, their favourite places on the Island and its beautiful scenery.

You can watch the documentary here.