xuans-book-the-art-of-ink-painting

Second year Graphic Communication Design BA students Xuan Phan and Hyun You won two awards at the International Society of Typographic Designers (ISTD) competition and became ISTD members.

The ISTD is a professional body run by and for typographers, graphic designers, and educators. The society has an international membership and its aims are to establish and maintain standards of typography and to provide a forum for debate.

Xuan Phan who received a Merit award created a book The Art of Ink Painting which explored the spirit of Calligraphy Art and its long history to readers, blending ancient and contemporary art style.

She said: “The publication process is one of the best experiences I have ever had, it taught me so many lessons and was a great push for further development in the future. I was chuffed to bits to be awarded the Merit Award and the golden ticket to becoming a member of ISTD. I could not have done this without the support of my Westminster professors and peers.”

hyun-project

Hyun You received a Pass at the competition for her work that analysed daily newspapers and their representation of women’s work in journalism.

She said: “I am really glad to have won the ISTD. It is a special experience for me because I am an exchange student from South Korea. When designing a book, I wanted to visualise the gender segregation intuitionally, so I cut off the articles written by men journalists from four different newspapers in UK. Only few articles were written by women. I made use of the areas of advertisements to deliver my message, because I thought these areas are relatively free from gender.”

Senior Lecturer Hans-Dieter Reichert said: “Both students, Xuan and Hyun have produced well considered design concepts and a good body of research for their respective works. This set the foundation to a highly detailed and intelligently handled design production. The Graphic Communication Design course and its staff, Senior Lecturer Iwona Abrams and theory tutor Visiting Lecturer Victoria Salmon are very proud that both Xuan and Hyun received awards and professional memberships.”