Meet Katie Crooks, Westminster School of Media, Arts and Design alumna who graduated from Public Relations BA (now Public Relations and Advertising BA) in 2011. She currently works as a Digital Marketing Executive for Ibiza Rocks and Pikes Hotel Ibiza, as well as she does freelance work for BBC Radio 1 where she helps with productions and live events.

How did you end up in the position you are in?

“After graduating from Westminster, I returned back to Northern Ireland for a year an a half to pursue PR opportunities locally. Following on from internships with the likes of CMPR, my sister and I set up a music and lifestyle blog called ‘Commando’ (@TwoCrooked), shining a light on local talent and interviewing artists, designers and DJs that we felt passionate about.

“The blog furthered my platform and I moved back to London in 2013 after securing a highly sought after placement with BBC Radio 1. Following this I went on to present my own specialist dance show ‘Monday Night Club’ on Hoxton Radio, interned at Mixmag and subsequently secured a job within the Ibiza Rocks Group.

“I’ve spent the last three years juggling being based in Ibiza for work each summer and maintaining my freelance work with BBC Radio 1. I’m always busy but I love it! This is the first summer I’ve decided to stay in London due to the wealth of new opportunities including a three month attachment with the BBC Live Events team from June-September.”

What advice would you give other PR students in terms of professional and personal growth?

“Make and maintain contacts, you can never know enough people! Be prepared to put the extra hours in, although tiring and often frustrating while you push for what you want to do, the rewards pay off.  And it is okay to not be 100% sure about what you want to do, who really is these days!”

How did you find your time at Westminster? Did it help you develop or grow and if so, how?

“I absolutely loved my time studying Public Relations at Westminster. Coming from a small town that nobody really leaves to living and studying in London really broadened my horizons and presented opportunities to me which wouldn’t have happened otherwise. It helped me be even more determined to make things happen than I was before!”