I Am an MBA

If ever there was an understatement it has to be ‘time flies’! I find it incredible how only a year ago I moved to London after having lived in Egypt for 15 years. It was a sudden move but one I’m glad I made. I’m now only a few months away from graduating from the MBA programme and cannot believe how quickly it has gone by. I suppose I have not had the time to reflect on the journey as much as I would have liked to. I chose to work part-time with the University during my studies so free time was generally in short supply. Sleep was in short supply! But now that I have finished classes and only have half a dozen reports to submit, a corporate governance exam to study for and a dissertation to complete, I am much more relaxed J. Sleep is still in short supply but hey, in a few months I will have an MBA so it is worth it. Sorry I mean I will be an MBA…..

I remember my first week on the programme. I was not sure what to expect but looking back I do think whatever expectations I had were met in more ways than I thought they would be. One of my favourite moments was during the first day on the programme. The MBA director came into our classroom and introduced herself. She welcomed the class and wished us all the best of luck throughout the one-year programme. Before leaving the room she said that we were not here to earn an MBA degree. Of course my heart sank because I thought I had ended up in the wrong class.  She went on to say that we would “become MBAs”. I relaxed slightly having realised I was in the right place but was slightly panicked about ‘becoming’ something. I am guessing that most of my cohort didn’t have a clue what she meant but unlike me they were able to conceal their lack of understanding quite ingeniously.  She left us with our very messy thoughts and now two semesters and a lot of confusion later; I finally think I understand what she meant.

It really isn’t about learning about the best supply chain management practices or how to build a sustainable brand. It isn’t about learning the different theories and laws of neoclassical economics and why its advocate’s venomously dislike proponents of neo-Keynesian economics nor is it about learning the easy way around multiple regression analysis (apparently there isn’t one!). It is about transforming the way you think about and approach situations. It’s about being able to see every angle with a broader outlook. In no way do I intend to discount the amount of knowledge I have accumulated over the past eight months through this programme, however it is how I use and even perceive the extent of my knowledge that has changed dramatically.

Henry David Thoreau once said “To know that we know what we know, and that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge.” I never fully understood what he meant with this statement but now I am starting to get my head around it and I like it even more…..

Latest posts by nihal (see all)

Comments

• Here is a big well done from another MBA in the making, so nice to read your thoughts and now, haft way through the semester I can totally relate to what has been felt.. the journey is quite a rocky one, but its all worth it at the end, half way through, I have realised that more than learning theory from books, it is also a personal journey of discovery, of becoming better, wiser with each passing day, eventually no matter what field I choose to go to, I am sure I will be more than able to make a contribution and look back at the process and say to myself..’it was all worth it”!!

Thank you for sharing your experience, it has made me feel that I was not the only one… See you at the top! xx