MBA in Practise

When I surface out of the subway of the underground tube, I evidently see myself emerging at one end of the Waterloo station, near platform 16 and staring at the long hallway across to the other end where, typically, trains going via Wimbledon are stationed. My switch from the underground tube rail to national rail, plying above the ground, transpires unwaveringly every evening at London Waterloo station. I’ve observed so far, the trains halting at Wimbledon are mostly positioned on platforms one to four. I monotonously board one of those trains on either of the platforms to reach Wimbledon – where my house is located!

What’s so interesting about this?? Well, if proceedings are just as bland as described above then I inarguably agree there is nothing exciting. But on the contrary, the events unfold in a rather finicky way, uniting and manifesting many of the learning in MBA in that short span of time. Let me unravel the mystery: To being with, let me assume I arrive at the far end of the hallway, out of the underground subway, at 6.15 pm. I customarily now know that there are trains to Wimbledon every 3-4 minutes and by and large, they are parked on platforms one to four. I begin to trot towards the other end of the hallway. As I jog through the initial few yards, I come across multiple indicators on my top-right, transmitting departure information of various trains. I skim through that information that endows me with the requisite knowledge that there are two trains, of my interest, about to vacate their platforms in the very nearest future – one at 6.18 pm from platform 1 and next at 6.21 pm from platform 4.

This is when I introduce the first of many aspects of learning in MBA – Goal Setting! People have always preached this aspect adding a cautious connotation – to choose a realistic goal! But I believe the word realistic is a relative term. What may seem realistic to one may seem superfluous to another. Nonetheless, I am highly influenced by the words of Robert Browning – “…a man’s reach should exceed his grasp…” So, I set my realistic goal – to board the train on platform 1 that is geared up to vacate the platform after 60 seconds! Once the goal setting phase is over and just 60 seconds in my pocket, I introduce another crucial aspect of learning in MBA – Resource Planning and Optimal Utilization. I ostensibly realize, the trot will simply not help my cause and hence, to make optimum use of my 60 seconds, I changeover from my brisk walk mode to sprint mode! So I now begin to sprint from platform 12 towards platform 1 to accomplish the goal set.

As with any project, there are unplanned hurdles. In this case, the numerous people leisurely strolling around, distinctly unmindful of my tenacious goal. Generally two thoughts would jolt the mind – either boggle down and give up or change the goal. This is when the obstinate words of Mary Kay Ash resounds in my subconscious mind and redeems my faith – “If you think you can, you can. If you think you can’t, you’re right!” I promptly introduce another important facet – Dynamic Planning! With no clear and straight way to perceive, I instinctively pave my own path by wriggling through hoards of unhurriedly veering people to achieve my goal.

With the final 10 seconds now hastily diminishing, I race through to the middle of platform one and enter the train compartment with a swift hop. I hear the doors of the compartment automatically closing behind my back and it is then that my mind perceives the most delightful and enchanting feeling of all the learning in MBA – Sense of Accomplishment of a Goal! I scout for a vacant seat and enjoy the immense feeling of accomplishment. That further sows many seeds of motivation and re-strengthens the inherent faith and belief for the next day. Such daily unfolding of events, though monotonous, helps me to unfailingly reinstate many of the salient tenets of learning in MBA!

Latest posts by ajit (see all)

Comments