It was the best of times

„It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us…“

Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities
English novelist (1812 – 1870)

It is only appropriate that at the time of 200th anniversary of Charles Dickens, I start this blog post by quoting one of the most powerful, most famous and most memorable book openings in English literature.

The beautiful and emotional language Dickens uses is so powerful, timeless and eternal.

In A Tale of Two Cities, Dickens wrote about London and Paris, about the period after the French revolution. He was referring to the time that was filled with great contradictions, extremes and uncertainty.

200 years later, I’m referring to the same.

We are half way through our MBA course, there is a lot of uncertainty about our plans and futures, but I already feel nostalgic about our course ending too soon. I have a feeling I will miss the people, the classes, the atmosphere, and the jokes and fun that we share. People you see every day, people you share your challenges with, people who help you, people who inspire you, people you learn form, people who teach you, people who touch you, even the people you have stupid quarrels with……in less than a year could be spread out all over the world.

The reality of things is such that some of them I will never see again.

During our first semester, a lot of professors indicated that we are a unique generation, different from all others. And what at first seemed a mere flattery became more and more obvious as the time went on.

Our group seems to have been very compact and coherent, equally in our greatness and successes, as well as in our stubbornness and determination not to necessarily comply.

There have been challenges that we needed to address, either among ourselves or with the professors and course leaders and I was always fascinated with the camaraderie and with the way how we played things out. The unity I’m referring to was never much orchestrated, it was more the case of genuinely shared thoughts, feelings and attitudes, and the readiness to assert ourselves and speak our mind when necessary.

And while the big part of me wants our MBA to end as soon as possible, so that I can go back to enjoying my life, on the other hand I don’t want it to end, because I know I will feel nostalgic.

Brazilians say „saudade“. Although there is no immediate translation for this word in English, saudade is described as the recollection of feelings, experiences, places or events that once brought excitement, pleasure and well-being.

My MBA did all of that.

Comments

• Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive learn anything like this before. So nice to find somebody with some unique ideas on this subject. realy thank you for beginning this up. this web site is something that’s wanted on the internet, somebody with somewhat originality. helpful job for bringing something new to the internet!

• Thank you so much, you are so kind! That was actually just a moment of inspiration, with all these thoughts wanting to get out! 😉 It is so nice when you do something, and people like it! Your comment made my day! Adela Papac