The University of Westminster Social Entrepreneurship module is unique in that it requires students to use our experience and skills learnt on our MBA to solve real life problems in real life situations, rather than simply testing theory.  Social Entrepreneurship and our MBA programme were covered by the FT earlier this year : Since 2010, the social entrepreneurship module of the MBA at Westminster Business School in London has given students experience in Uganda and India through partnerships with enterprises such as Arpan, an Indian charity fighting child sexual abuse.

This year a new group of MBA students will be heading to Uganda in April and before their trip we have asked them a few questions. We will be following their journey and transformation very closely. In the mean time, you can check their fundraising page here.

Chimeren Peerbhai
1. What interested you about the Social Entrepreneurship Module and why did you ultimately choose to go?

My interest was peaked by speaking to other MBA students who had attended in previous cohorts and were very moved by the experience. I have ultimately chosen to go because I felt this was a once in a lifetime opportunity to use my skills to help others and make an impact on their lives.

2. What are you expecting to gain from the experience?

I’m hoping to gain a broader perspective about the world and to learn more about business practices in the non-profit sector.

3. What are you hoping to give by volunteering your time? (I.e. What unique skills will you be volunteering)

My aim is to use my previous work in eLearning and strategy to devise a feasible and attainable communication and education plan. This will help to ensure that our business strategy can be successfully adopted by the community.

01

Cavitha Dassaradane

The Social Entrepreneurship elective from Westminster MBA is a valuable opportunity for me for several reasons. First of all, it will allow me to get out of my comfort zone and see the life differently and understand the priorities in life. Moreover, social work has always been part of my plan and I strongly believe every little help can make a difference. Finally, while speaking with the previous MBA cohort who have made this experience, I was strongly convinced that this project is for me!

I expect sincerely that we can benefit from the satisfaction of having effectively helped the community to improve their sanitation condition. Moreover, I hope that it will change my vision of life in many aspects like for instance “not taking basic things like water for granted”. Finally, I love travelling and discovering new culture. Therefore, I wish I can have a complete cultural experience (foods, habits, history…) through the local community and this continent I do not know yet!

3. What are you hoping to give by volunteering your time? (i.e. what unique skills will you be volunteering)

I hope to contribute with my past experience in various sectors and my recently learned knowledge during the MBA. More generally, above all the technical skills and experiences, I would like to share happiness, cheerfulness among the Jinja community and bring some moral comfort and motivation.

Jessica Boland

There are very few MBA programmes that offer an experience quite like the Social Entrepreneurship module at WBS. I was immediately intrigued upon finding out about it and after talking to past cohorts and reading about their experiences I knew it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Getting to use our past work experience combined with everything learnt through the MBA towards a such a good cause will be so rewarding.

A new perspective to the world around us, insight into how business is conducted outside western countries and the reward of being part of a project that is motivated by improving  the quality of life in Jinja.

I truly hope that with my past work experience and knowledge gained through the MBA, I will be able to add value to Busoga trust and make a positive and productive impact to the Jinja community.

Stian Brattlid

This module is something entirely different than what you would expect to be able to do during an MBA at business school. I think this is a module with the social aspect should be compulsory at every MBA, particularly because of the scrutiny and bad press many business schools have had to endure after the recession. To be honest, I also think it is a once in a lifetime experience that you will never forget, every other student I have talked to that have done this module say they are forever grateful to have done it.

Having spent my whole life in a very sheltered and protected part of the world,  I´m hoping to widen my horizon. Especially I think in the western world we sometimes forget that there in fact is another world out there far from the comforts we are used to. This is something you would never get to experience had it not been for Westminster Business School connections to Busoga trust and this module.

3. What are you hoping to give by volunteering your time? (I.e. What unique skills will you be volunteering)

I think it´s difficult to pinpoint one or more specific skills I will bring to the table. Other than what I have learned so far in this MBA, I think all your experience so far as a human being always comes into play when tackling new situations and tasks.

Here is the link to our fundraising page:
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/mba2014

Comments