I owe you all this post since September last year but I must say I have not had the time since I finished my MBA. I was lucky enough to get a position in an organisation before finishing the program. As a result I have not had holidays in a year but all the hard work is paying off.

To all those who helped me out with my dissertation passing on to their relatives and colleagues the questionnaire I prepared for my research, I hope you find interesting some of the conclusions extracted from it. Thank you all for your support. It’s been a long and intense journey full of different feelings and emotions.

“Historically the role of the middle manager was primarily focused on the execution of tasks. It is clear that this approach would not successfully contribute to the creation of dynamic capabilities as the changing environment requires an increased focus on customers and employees.

The literature I reviewed to carry out my research define five different roles that middle managers adopt within organisations: communicator, synthesiser, champion, implementer and facilitator. Furthermore it has been exposed through previous research a variety of personal characteristics which may help middle managers to create dynamic capabilities and, therefore, adapt to the ever-changing internal and external environment.

From my research the contemporary middle manager is essentially the facilitator that synthesise information across the organisation ensuring the messages are communicated in the most effective way in order to get the workforce involved. Additionally this manager acts as implementer, that champions the actions required to achieve the goals the organisation sets contributing to transformational changes.

As it has been proven these roles do not exist in isolation and, in order to survive in the modern world, the contemporary manager needs to demonstrate a myriad of characteristics that are at constant interplay with the intention of achieving the various demands they are subjected to.

Middle Managers must be able to adjust to the changing environment that forces them to adapt different roles depending on the stages and circumstances. Nowadays, middle actors cannot be allocated to confined roles which typically restrict their effectiveness while performing. In fact, they should be able to use all the resources available to them in order to quickly respond to any unexpected events.

Moreover firms are responsible for providing the propitious climate for their middle managers according to enterprises’ expectations. More empowerment will release pressure and therefore it will soften internal locus of control and intolerance of ambiguity, fomenting involvement and generating a more successful transformational change when implemented.

In the past the role of the middle manager appears to have been down-played whereas, in fact from the research, it is fair to state that due to the privileged hierarchical position as well as all the personal characteristics required, a far greater level of responsibility is actually mandatory. Thus, it is imperative to recognise that middle managers could be considered a corner stone for implementing transformational changes rather than the derogatory “dead wood” term often used to describe this increasingly demanding and pivotal role.

The responsibility of top management would not only be the one regarding the creation of strategy, vision and mission for the company but the creation for organisational trust towards middle managers’ empowerment and procedural justice”

From “The role of Middle Managers in Creating Dynamic Capabilities” MBA Dissertation – Irene Salto Menendez – August 2013