Posted on: 10 July 2017
No Comments »
Filed under: Uncategorized


Dear level 6 BA Architecture students,


Re: Professional Experience in Architecture year out


Before qualifying as an architect in the UK, you are required to formally record your post Part 1 and 2 experience.  This experience is administered by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) through their Professional Experience and Development Record (PEDR)


At the University of Westminster, we offer a 1 year  Professional Experience in Architecture course that aims to help you get the most out of your year out with the knowledge and guidance of our Professional Studies Advisor, Jane Tankard.


To enrol on the course you will need to apply via the University website and have completed your RIBA I course;


or email


Below are a few notes about the course


  • To begin with, you will be required to register on the RIBA website. Please note there is a small charge for this service.


  • Your experience must meet the RIBA criteria (see their PEDR website)


  • Your completed PEDRs must be signed by you and your office mentor before they are forwarded to the University and they must be a final (not draft) copy.


  • A digital copy of your completed PEDRs must be sent to the email who will log receipt and then forward to your PSA, Jane Tankard for her or Wilfred Achille for signing. You must submit the forms after every 3 month period of employment and within 2 months of the end of that 3 month period.  You should not wait until the end of the year.


  • You do not have to have a job in order to sign up and attend the Short Course; in fact some students find jobs through other enrolled students and we also run CV and portfolio workshops to help you. You will be able to use the University facilities including the library and Career Development Centre and you will be notified of Part 1 placement opportunities from employers.


  • You do not have to work in an architect’s practice in order to comply with the RIBA criteria, a placement in the building profession as a whole counts. See the PEDR website.


  • Please note that if you choose to do 2 years out you will be required to pay a reduced fee for the second year. Also, if you are working abroad you must still pay the fee, but will not have to attend the seminars.


If you have any further questions about the course, please contact


Leave a Reply