While work experience is important, it is not the only way you can improve your employability. Developing a new skill, attending events, taking part in a course or an internship online, volunteering, and brushing up on your interview skills are just some of the ways you can improve your chances of getting a job. The University of Westminster offers a variety of resources and services you can use to make yourself stand out from the crowd. There are also some incredible external resources that you can take advantage of as well.
- Attend our Graduate Success Series workshops designed to help final year students and recent graduates Class of 2020 & 2021 with their CVs, cover letters and job search.
- Book a 1:1 with our Career Consultants which can give you the opportunity to obtain feedback and advice on CVs, application forms, interviews, and other career concerns.
- Sign up for the Westminster Graduate Programme which is an opportunity for our class of 2021 graduates to apply for graduate roles at the University, giving them the chance to build confidence and implement the skills they developed during their degree in a supportive work environment.
- Check out a brand-new resource Shortlist.me, an innovative interview preparation platform for Westminster students and new graduates.
- There are multiple online and free courses which can help you enhance and improve your skills, providing a certificate of completion. As a student, you can access LinkedIn Learning, a platform with a wide range of courses for free. You can also access Forage which is a platform with virtual work experience programs that give students a genuine career advantage with Fortune 500 companies. If you have already graduated in the section below you can find helpful websites offering great courses as well.
- Take part in the Future Ready Mentoring program which is an opportunity for you to connect with an experienced professional who can help you develop your skills, build your network, and gain an insight into the industry of your dreams.
- Take part in volunteering opportunities offered by the University! Make a significant contribution to your development while helping make this world a better place.
- If you have already graduated here are some online and free courses, you can use to gain a new skill with a certification:
- Google Digital Garage – https://learndigital.withgoogle.com/digitalgarage/courses
- Alison – https://alison.com/courses
- Harvard – https://pll.harvard.edu/catalog/free
- Bright Network Internship Experience: This is the no.1 virtual internship experience allowing you to hear from top employers who have renowned internship, placement, and graduate programmes, ask them your questions on how to secure a role, and to further improve your CV.
- Internship Experience UK is taking place on 20th – 22nd June
- Applications open from the 25th of May
In general, the University of Westminster offers a lot of resources to boost your employability both as a student and a recent graduate. Taking advantage of these can help you enhance your CV especially during the transition period into the work force. There are also some helpful external resources available so make sure to check those out as well.
Many thanks to Antonina Wlazlo, a final year Public Relations and Advertising student and one of our student helpers, for writing this wonderful blog! Antonina supports the Early Careers Support for Graduates project, so be sure to check out all of the resources available!
For any careers support, please reach out to us via the channels below.
E: firstname.lastname@example.org| Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram |Careers Blog
Latest posts by Anna Dolidze (see all)
- Steps that can be taken to land a graduate job - 30 March 2023
- Model NATO – Artemis Rabello’s experiences - 23 March 2023
- Model NATO – Comfort Ilozobhie’s experiences - 16 March 2023