Next appointment:

We have very good availability for both online and face to face assessments.

Please contact us to discuss your requirements.

September 2023


We have been accredited by the Disabled Students Allowances Quality Assurance Group (DSA-QAG).

Disabled Students’ Allowance

What is the DSA?

DSA stands for the Disabled Students’ Allowance. It is funding given to students with disabilities (including dyslexia) free of charge, in order to ensure they have the best chance of success in higher education. The DSA provides a way for disabled and dyslexic students to get specialist equipment and support without spending their own money.

Can I get it?

Generally speaking, if you are studying a Higher Education course at a college or university within the UK, and you have medical proof of your disability or dyslexia (such as a doctor’s note, or an educational psychologist’s report for dyslexia) it is very likely that you will be eligible for DSA. There are some exceptions, so to be sure contact your disability officer at your place of study or contact your funding body. This is most likely to be Student Finance England (SFE), Student Finance Wales (SFW) or Student Finance Northern Ireland (SFNI), but it could also be a research council, the NHS Bursary or the Open University.

Alternatively, take a look at the DSA information on the government website.

How can it help me?

Funding can cover the cost of buying specialist equipment, such as a computer, assistive software, and human support (mentoring or study skills tuition, for example).

Each student is assessed individually by a qualified needs assessment officer. Funding decisions are based on a number of factors, not just the nature of your disability, so recommendations will differ from one student to the next. For example, a student with dyslexia will not necessarily get identical support to someone else with dyslexia.

How much are the DSA allowances?

Undergraduate & Postgraduate

The full-time and part-time allowance for SFE funded students in 22/23 is £25,575 per annum and for 23/24 it is £26,291. Different limits may apply to other funding bodies.

This can be used for Specialist equipment; Non-medical helpers (NMH); General items and for additional Travel costs.

Students with high additional travel costs may be eligible for additional funds.

Indulge in a delightful gaming experience like no other at Yummy Wins Casino. This non UK-based online casino offers a delectable array of games and operates independently of Gamstop, ensuring non-stop entertainment and excitement.

Different allowances may apply for other funding bodies.

How do I apply?

The easiest way to apply for DSA is to contact the disability officer at your place of study. They are useful sources of information and can help you to complete the relevant paperwork and guide you through the necessary steps. If you can’t find your disability officer, or for some reason you don’t want anybody at your place of study to know about your disability, you should contact your funding body. You can also follow the steps highlighted on our DSA application process page or on the government website.

Accessibility | Cookies | Terms of use and privacy