Westminster Law School blog

Visit the website of Westminster Law School

More information about courses in undergraduate law

More information about courses in postgraduate law

Meet the Academic: Francis King

Posted on: 10 September 2015
By:
No Comments »
Filed under: Meet the academics

Please describe yourself and your role in a few sentences?

I have joined the Law School as Senior Lecturer in Property Law and hope to share my passion for all things property with the law students on a number of modules.

What is your area of academic interest?

My research is interdisciplinary, incorporating aspects of tort, land law, environmental law, and social policy, but it primarily focuses on the power dynamics evidenced in property-based disputes. My doctoral thesis, entitled ‘A Foucauldian Exploration of the Statutory Authority Defence to an Action in Private Nuisance’, uses the work of Michel Foucault as a framework for contextualising these dynamics in relation to the state-endorsed infringement on private property rights for infrastructure development.

Please tell us a bit about the teaching that you are involved in?

I have previously taught on built environment and construction undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, and I hope to share this practical property approach with students in the Law School.

What was your first job?

I was a fitness instructor on cruise ships and worked on a number of luxury liners, including the QE2!

Where did you work before coming to Westminster?

I was a lecturer in the School of Law at the University of Essex.

What has been the highlight of your career to date?

Securing funding to work on an education project close to my heart: Producing a pilot for an online problem-based learning project for student researchers and practitioners.

What advice would you give students during their studies and after graduation?

Both during and after – Don’t be afraid to get in touch with people and ask for advice, help, support, or opportunities to attend events.

What advice would you give students considering studying this subject?

Be tenacious – the road ahead will take perseverance, patience and determination!

What are your interests/leisure activities?

I have a passion for live music and, as my husband is in a band, I get to indulge it most weekends. I also have a love for the home-made and keep my creative side alive by baking, sewing, knitting and crocheting.