home international student bloggers
I’m home!
I am currently writing from a coffee shop in Ballard, WA and it just feels so good.
home international student bloggers
Flight home to the Pacific Northwest
I’ll spend the next few weeks in the Pacific Northwest (with a brief stint in Vegas) before returning back to London for the New Year.

Items I have learned today:
Clanger: A dud
Pisstake: A sh*t show
Toady Faced Boggle Eyed Moron: How my old boss shows his love and appreciation for airport security (I think that was what he was talking about, I might have been hysterically dying from his wonderful vocabulary lesson and unable to really be paying attention).
It has been an insane week. I think I averaged about four hours of sleep.
BUT. It has also been incredible.
home international student bloggers
I started off with having my first mentor meeting at work.
I have a mentor assigned through school as well, but I am always one for personal development and growth. Any opportunity I can get, I tend to leap for.
This mentor is great! I think what I am most excited about is the possibility of linking projects through my school with projects with my job.
Then I had my first “international” work trip. Flying to Glasgow, Scotland for the day.
I got to see the main Distribution Center for the publishing company that I work at.
I love LOVE books, so it was pretty magical to see it all come together.
Fun Facts:
  • 1-3 books in the UK is distrubuted from here
  • The warehouse can hold up to 50 million books
  • On an average week 1.1-1.3 million books are distributed, on a busy week (like right now, leading up to the holidays) that number increases by a million.
I also turned in my first official graded assignment for the MBA program. Team Two Northerners and a Yank (what we named ourselves, although Rachel decided to “re-brand” us to Sergeant Rude Blogs on the last night) is coming to close. It’s a bit sad as we have worked pretty closely together for the last few months. But, I am proud of the work that we did. I will track down the link so I can share it at some point.
And the week ended up with our MBA Holiday party. It was the night before my flight. I sent myself home at 2:00am, and was incredibly grateful to wake up at 6:00am and get to the airport with no hitch.
home international student bloggers
And now I’m home!
I need to pick up a few items, and become an expert in all things Management Accounting, but I get to do it in Seattle. I didn’t realize how much I missed this place until I set foot off the plane. It feels good, even if it is just for a minute.
Maria Vandenburg
Maria Vandenburg

Latest posts by Maria Vandenburg (see all)