1. When will I receive my course timetable? 

Course-specific enrolment and orientation timetables for all postgraduate programmes taught at Westminster Business School will be added to our website shortly before your course begins.  You will be notified as soon as this happens via email.  Your personalised academic timetable will then be given to you at enrolment. It will be accessible on Blackboard: a key learning resource that you will use during your time here as a student.  Please note that all timetables are subject to change. For key university dates consult our calendar.

2. When does my course start?

The postgraduate academic year starts on Thursday 17 September 2015 with Enrolment and Orientation activities.  Teaching then begins on Monday 28 September 2015 . For further dates please see our University calendar.

3.Is the University of Westminster able to provide any funding/monetary support to students?

Each course offers a range of student support initiatives, ranging from book allowances, to external speakers, company visits, social events and residential learning workshops. The actual initiatives vary from course-to-course, according to the nature of the Master programme and its learning requirements. You will receive more information about this once you have joined the course.

For general guidance on money matters and for funding advice please get in touch with our Student Advice team: T: +44 (0)20 7911 5000 ext 66080; E: studentadvice@westminster.ac.uk

4. Am I required to pay an international student deposit?

All international applicants requiring a visa to study will need to pay the international student deposit before we can issue you with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).  The CAS is an electronic record that the University produces for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) and it is used for the purposes of the Tier 4 Visa application process.  The international student deposit is currently £4000* and should be paid via the Applicant Portal. Please only pay this after accepting an unconditional offer.

*Please note that the international deposit stands at £4000. This amount may be subject to change from time-to-time.  Refunds can only be offered in certain circumstances. Please see here for more information.

5. My first language is not English. Do I need to take an English language test?

If your first language is not English then you may be required to take an English language test. If you are unsure about this please contact our Admissions Office: admissions@westminster.ac.uk. English language proficiency is normally one of the main components of any conditional offer, something which will be clearly indicated to you at the point an offer made.

There are a range of English language tests that we accept including IELTS and PTE Academic. For a longer list of tests that you can take please take a look here and for all language test queries please email admissions@westminster.ac.uk.

6. How do I find somewhere to live?

Our Student Accommodation team are here to help students looking for accommodation: studentaccommodation@westminster.ac.uk. There are three main options open to Westminster Business School students:

University of Westminster Halls of Residence

Partner Halls of Residence

Privately-rented accommodation

Please note that postgraduate places in the university’s own Halls of Residence are primarily allocated to the September in-take.  However January starters are free to put themselves down on a waiting list for accommodation in halls via the Housing Portal.  Bear in mind that availability is entirely dependent on evictions and cancellations.  For this reason there are only a limited number of rooms available so please register your interest as soon as possible. If you are looking for private-rented accommodation then why not join the University of Westminster Private Housing Facebook page.

7. How much does it cost to live in the UK?

How much it will cost you to live in the UK will greatly depend on your own personal living habits. That being said, there are a few tools that you can use to guide you. Take a look at page 6 of our Essential Westminster guide for a list of current living costs and the international student calculator to help you to plan for your time here. Also, don’t forget to take advantage of the student discounts that you will become eligible for once you enrol: NUS Extra; Student Oyster card.

8. Will someone come to meet me when I arrive in the UK

International students can sign up for our Airport Meet and Greet service. University of Westminster representatives will be at Heathrow before the start of term to meet arriving international students and help them travel to their University accommodation. There will be a free bus service or taxi service for students staying in University halls of residence. There is also an International Welcome Programme for international/European students who are new to the UK.

To take advantage of these services, you’ll need to sign up for them in advance (please keep an eye on our website for further details). Please note that both schemes only apply to September starters.

9. I need help with my visa application: who should I contact?

We have two teams here at the University who are able to assist with visa related queries:

Our Tier 4 visas team

Our Tier 4 visas team are dedicated to processing the CAS numbers needed for Tier 4 visa applications.  So should you have any questions relating to your CAS number please email tier4visas@westminster.ac.uk

Our Student Advice team

Our Student Advice team are here to assist you with any questions that you might have about immigration and visa issues. The Student Advisers are the only members of staff in the University who are authorised to give immigration and visa advice. You can also find out more information on our Visas page and on the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website.

Our Student Advisors can help you with:

  • Applying for an extension of your student visa
  • What work you are allowed to do during your course
  • Visas for working after your course ends
  • Visas for dependants
  • Apart from student visa and immigration matters our Student Advisers give specialist advice and support on a range of other issues including:
  • Fee status
  • Social Security benefits for students who are parents or have a disability
  • Money management
  • Council Tax liability
  • Advice and support for care leavers

To get in touch please email them on studentadvice@westminster.ac.uk.

10. Can I undertake an internship as part of my course?

As a full-time postgraduate student you will be able to apply for our internship programme. Our internships are a great way for you to gain work experience within your field of interest. For further information please see here.


  • Greetings,
    I was wondering if the scholarship for September entry has been finalized and winners are already been notified?


  • Greetings, Please I will be grateful if the content of my course will be communicated to me so i can start preparation before i arrive on campus. The course I will be reading is International Economic policy and Analysis MA. Thanks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

University of Westminster
309 Regent Street, London W1B 2UW
General enquiries: +44 (0)20 7911 5000
Course enquiries: +44 (0)20 7915 5511

The University of Westminster is a charity and a company limited by guarantee.
Registration number: 977818 England