Westminster Law School blog

Visit the website of Westminster Law School

More information about courses in undergraduate law

More information about courses in postgraduate law

Nikkel Wiltshire graduated from the Legal Practice Course (LPC)

Posted on: 3 October 2017
By:
No Comments »
Filed under: Alumni LPC

Nikkel Wiltshire graduated from the Legal Practice Course (LPC) with Distinction in 2016.   Coming from Trinidad he manged to combine serious study with enjoyment of living in one of the world’s most exciting and beautiful cities.

“I made up my mind to study at the University of Westminster after Martin Skirrow and Miles Macleod (members of the LPC team) visited Trinidad with their course pitch. Studying in the heart of London, and the genuine family-like care that they have for their students (which was evident by the way they spoke about them) were two of the deciding factors.

“The Law school made settling in and getting to know each other very easy by facilitating many out of school activities throughout the year. It was no different in the classroom, as group interaction was almost always a part of the class session.

“All of the lecturers were very warm and welcoming, and this was the case even during the application stages online. They did everything they could to ensure that we were always comfortable and to make you feel like part of a Westminster Family.

“Both the University and the course surpassed my expectations. Out of all my tertiary schooling this course was by far the best, most well put together and perfectly executed of all. The best things about the course were the way it facilitated critical thinking and practical application of the law. Because the course is tested through open-book examinations and oral assessments, it drives students to ‘think’. Being successful in this course requires more than one’s ability to recite textbook material.

“Being a student in London, there are endless things to do and see. The city is simply beautiful. There is never a dull moment, and while it is expensive in some respects there is no shortage of free attractions, so living on a student’s budget does not inhibit the fun that you can have.

“After graduating from the LPC I came back home to Trinidad, where I am currently a trainee Attorney at Law serving my six-month attachment at M. Hamel-Smith & Co., one of the oldest and leading commercial law firms in the country. There is no doubt that the skills learnt on the LPC positively impacted on the  contributions that I am able to make in my job.

“To anyone thinking of applying for a Law course at the University of Westminster, I would give them the assurance that they are making the right decision. You are definitely in safe hands, and will come out of the course a year later having learnt a lot and having equally as much fun doing so.”